Thursday, December 2, 2010

December 2nd, as i write this.

Wow. much has happened since we last posted...Here's the text, photo's coming soon.

The last time we wrote about our adventures was when we were in Natchez. We had our night out, and nothing much was going on. The town is very quaint and quite charming, however, the social life does not exist during hunting season. The little city had plenty of antebellum homes, a few museums, and gambling on a river boat. While we were there, the weather could not have been better, it was our first really nice day in a long while (weather wise), and while we were the, we were able to secure some housing in a town 60 miles away, Jackson Louisiana.

We made our way down a moderately trafficked, but generously shouldered, slice of haven that is U.S. 61. This was a long day, that was broken up by a trip down some back roads and across state lines. A very pretty ride. we even stopped at Valhalla, and rode again.

We finally made it to our evenings destination, and we were very glad we did. Perry and Lep, our hosts, were very cool. big time cyclists who have been in the game of bicycle bossin for over 15 years. They fed us tasty snacks, and cool beverages, then let us use their outdoor shower. Our hosts definitely had a nice spread, we were all very envious. The a fore mentioned outdoor shower is located on a good size piece of land, comes complete with an awesome workshop/bunk house, hurricane shelter, eco friendly house, and pet deer. yeah, this place was cool fo sho.

After our night at Perry and Lep's, we were off to Baton Rouge. Louisiana is so interesting to look at, by really? All of these oil refineries and litter on the side of the road make it kind of hard too... its sad.

On the way into B.R. Michael got his first flat, thats was changed quickly, but not before he had a chance to sit in ANOTHER Fire Ant's nest. After that, it was a short ride to the next stop. We made it to our host's place on state st. which is a very cool part of town. we defiantly had a blast there! Karien was super cool and relaxed with everything, she let us come and go, showed us some cool things, and brought us tasty treats home from work! thanks!

Chris and Morgan, the guys upstairs were pretty cool too, the had us over for thanksgiving, which was really cool. We all just kind of came together as stragglers, and really brought something cool together. It wasn't the fanciest or anything, but it was good, and no one went hungry, which is the most imporant part.

The day after Thanksgiving was critical mass. This day was a cold and dreary day, but we still managed to make it. It was a small group of riders, but we still had a blast anyway! The Mass ended up snaking its way downtown, back to camput, and eventually to someones house, for a party! This was a really fun party, tons of awesome people, some snacks, drum circles, and then the DJ showed up... it quickly turned into a dance party, and it couldn't have been better!

We finally took off the next morning. minus one. While in Baton Rouge, Matt accidentally injured his ankle, rendering him incapable for a day. Alex and Michael felt it was best to take off and Matt agreed. So they did,their journey, which was quite some way out of the way, but a great ride non-the-less, took them to some pretty cool parts of the world. They followed the river for most of it, crossing twice, once by ferry and the other by moving truck. On their first day out, the made it 65 miles through the sugar cane fields and bayou all the way to the little town of Napoleanville, there the stayed in the Catholic church's Rec. hall.

The next morning started off early and was ended quickly by a bit of gear malfunction, as well as sore bodies. Mike and Alex were lucky enough to have hooked up the right people at the right time, not to long after the breakdown, we were picked up by a very nice guy and take to the hardware store to get it fixed. Shortly after repairs and the realization that they may not be able to make it the next 50 miles.

With plans to hitchhike the rest of the way in their heads, they sat down at a mall to gather their ideas and voila, like that they were on their way to the big easy with a nice guy whom the helped out with some work in exchange for a ride.

Matt's story is a different one, Matt got up early on Saturday, and set out to make it to New Orleans in one day. Thats not an easy ride, its about 85 miles and no other way but highways. It's even more difficult when you are on a bum ankle, but Matt made it, which was just crazy. crazy...

One way or another, and miles of beautiful country, we find ourselves here, in New Orleans. And we like it, we really do. There is just a feel about it that lets you know that you could get down on it. We have decided to stay her for a while, a month or two, just to give it a try (and gather up some moola). Y'all should come on down, its a cool place, and a good time. latter!


  1. Who wrote this?? Matt, Alex and Mike are all referred to in the third person.

  2. michael wrote this. but he likes to keep it in the third, ya heard? who wrote this comment?

  3. Too bad about Matt, but glad he is up on his feet again. Good to hear from you guys. Mom's worry ya know. Hope you find jobs soon, let us know if ya need anything.
    luv & miss ya .
    Mama Candy